Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time Zones Illude Me

I'm going to do an itty-bitty little blog "no-no" for this entry and write something about work. However, I have changed all the names to protect the innocent and I'm not even going to say where I work...though I'm fairly certain anyone reading this knows anyway.

This morning I needed to make a phone call to a woman who was in a different time zone...far enough away that there was a three hour time difference. I didn't want to forget to touch base with her though so I figured I would call and leave a message about what I wanted to discuss with her and she could call me back whenever she got to work. I dialed the number, the phone rang a few times, and then, to my surprise, someone actually answered the phone. Someone I think I probably should not have disturbed because I have the distinct feeling that he was someone important. The conversation unfolded something like this:

Mystery Man: Hello.
Me: Umm...hello is "Deborah" (not really her name) in?
MM: ...(long pause)...(said with a distinct tone of annoyance) do you know it's 6:30 a.m.?
M: I'm sorry...
MM: Call back sometime after 9...k?
M: I apologize...I will.

Boy oh boy did I feel like an ass. But in all seriousness...what on earth was he doing in the office at 6:30 in the morning, hmmmm??? Is it really all that hard to believe someone would call to leave a message at that time of the day if they were up? Unless this mysterious stranger happens to like to start his work day extremely early, the only logical explanation I could come up with is that this woman's office happens to be in the place where this person lives. Maybe? Either way I had that embarassed, tight-chested, "oh jeez" feeling for a good half hour after the incident and I did not call back until well after noon our time, 9:00 a.m. their time.

Now that I've been thoroughly vague I will leave you with this lovely sunrise photo from the fam Long Beach Island trip '08 to complete the early morning mood. Because I want my blog to be a good blog...and good blogs have pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment