Wednesday, April 15, 2009

London, Day Four: Westminster Abby, Fish & Chips and Victoria Albert

We slept in a bit too late this morning and missed the changing of the guard. Damn. So we'll be doing that tomorrow and decided instead to head directly to Westminster Abby. As we've done for the past couple of days, we jumped on the Picadilly Line and headed East towards Trafalgar Square...


There I took a picture of the St. Martin in the Field church that we went to yesterday but I was too lazy to take a picture of. I love the blue clock face at the top.


From this picture you can also see the beautiful, clear blue sky. Somehow we have had utterly beautiful weather all week so far. Today it was almost 70 outside!

I also took another picture of Big Ben just so that all my lovely readers can get a better feel for how tall it is. This provides a less deceiving perspective. Here you can clearly see that the tower is much more than 1.5 bus lengths long.


Then we went to Westminster Abby. We had to pay 12 pounds to get in (yikes) but then could get a little audio tour guide free of charge. Unfortunately I couldn't take any pictures inside but take my word for it...it was beautiful. The cloisters in particular were nice because of the wonderful, sunny weather.

Here's the entrance...


And a closer picture of the door...


Detail pictures of the door...



A picture of the huge stained glass window from the College Garden...


Another part of the Abby...


Westminster Abby is the final resting place of so many people it's ridiculous...they're actually even buried under the floor. Everyone from Queen Elizabeth I who has a huge ornate tomb to Charles Dickens who has a very simple engraving on the floor and that's it.

After leaving the Abby we saw a familiar face...


Mr. Lincoln was a comforting, so-there-Americans-don't-suck-after-all, sight to see.

Then we grabbed some lunch at a little pub called The Old Shudders.


What did I get, you ask?


Why fish and chips of course! It was very good...not too greasy at all, nice and light. It came with some mushy peas too (that green stuff) which was kind of interesting.

After that we headed back from whence we came to go to the Victoria Albert but first stopped by the church we went to for Easter Mass to snap a few shots of the exterior.


And THEN went to the Victoria Albert...




We looked at some Chinese and Japanese artwork along with some sculpture and a fashion exhibit then headed out to the grocery store to buy some things for dinner.

And that is where I really had my breath taken away. I literally gasped when I saw this...


Aero bars are freaking amazing. They're available in Canada and used to be sold in New York City until they mysteriously disappeared from store shelves. I love these things. I immediately bought three of them and plan on bringing at least one home.

Then we headed back to the apartment, cooked and ate dinner, and are now watching Match Point which I'm hating a little bit because the main character is a freaking horrible slime ball and I can't stand him. Ew. Don't watch it. Well anyway...more fun ahead for tomorrow!

4 comments:

  1. Big Ben appears to be at least 8 car lengths long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. shane, audrey already told you how long it was in the last post. jeeez. also, your menu says The Old Shades NOT The Old Shudders.... tehe. btw, we were curious, why was there a statue of Abraham Lincoln? I mean it's cool just curious why. Also we've read all of your blogs so far to Grandpa :D Grandpa says "Take care of Ann Marie" haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should bring home some Aero bars for your frinds on the fourth floor. Lord knows they won't be in vendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Match Point was awful. What a terrible movie to watch while on a dreamy holiday like yours! But now you have to go to the Tate. (It was the Tate they went to, right?)

    I swear the Stop & Shop in South Windsor has Aero bars. I'll check next time I'm there.

    Enjoy the rest of your beautiful trip!

    ReplyDelete