Sunday, April 12, 2009

London, Day One: Drivers, Red Eyes, and The Smell of Spring

If you haven't heard already, I have arrived safely in London! And my g*d has it been a busy day...or was it two days? First of all there was the driver that brought my Aunt Ann Marie and I to Newark Airport Saturday afternoon. To say the least he was a bit...off color. At the worst, offensive. But he was relatively harmless. He just would not stop TALKING. For the ENTIRE 2 and a half hours it took to get to the airport.

Once we got to the airport we were able to chill out and grab a drink at Chili's (yes Chili's) and hang out getting anxious about...I mean calmly waiting for our flight. A few short hours later it was time to board the VS002 to Heathrow and I walked aboard of my own free will. And to be honest? It was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I had a nice little screen in front of me the whole time streaming entertainment and relaxation music to me and the time really flew by...despite the fact that I only slept for a total of about 20 minutes. Oh well.

Then to top it all off...we've had an AWESOME first day in London despite being awake for an absurd amount of time. We went to Easter mass at this gorgeous church and went to a great brunch buffet then walked around in these beautiful gardens...Hyde Park for the most park I believe. Then we took a quick turn through the Natural History Museum and have returned back to my cousin's to veg out...we're currently watching Definitely Maybe.

And now the moment you've all been waiting for...the first round of pictures!

I could not get over this...the drivers side is on the RIGHT side of the car. THE RIGHT SIDE! This is, of course, something I knew ahead of time but it still boggled my mind seeing it in person.


Here's a picture I took of some pastries in a bakery we stopped at for some hot cross buns (yes, really). Right after this I was yelled at for taking pictures inside the store. Ha ha ha ha ha...I'm such a tourist.


Here's my cousin KC and Aunt Ann Marie in from of THE Travel Bookshop from the movie Notting Hill. The scenes were filmed there and everything. This picture is dedicated to my cousin Elisa.


Here's my very own room at KC's apartment. And what's even better...

I get my very own bathroom too!


Here's a picture of the beautiful church we went to Easter Mass at.


Another...

A cool monument in Hyde Park.

And now begins a long series of pictures I took in Hyde Park....










These next few are of the Princess Di Memorial Fountain in Hyde Park...




And this is a picture of the Natural History Museum...


That's all for now! We'll be getting dinner soon at a little English pub. :) More to follow!!!

6 comments:

  1. I would like to see a moving picture of that ring of water in the park. I would like to know if it flows clockwise or counterclockwise over there. Or better yet, I would like to see a moving picture of the toilet flushing. A moving picture is also known as a video. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I didn't realize that the bookstore in Notting Hill (the movie) was real! Glad you're having fun! I'll keep an eye on your house for you. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous!! I'm glad you're having a great time. Keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you forgot to mention the part when you and ann marie called mom for KC's phone number and address when you BOTH put it in your checked luggage... dodo heads! It looks like so much fun and I am sooooo jealous. Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha ha! You HAD to know something like that was going to happen. We're talking about Ann Marie and me here. We're very VERY fortunate that we have KC looking after us.

    We still have to make a sisters voyage sometime...I'm going to hold you to that. Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. um yes. that is going to happen. just name the place and time and i'll be there

    ReplyDelete