Monday, April 13, 2009

London, Day Two: Trafalgar Square and Beyond

It's been an incredibly long, but good, day and my brain is fried so I'm going to keep this relatively quick and most likely picture-heavy because I'm not feeling particularly...wordy.

Today we started off by jumping on the "tube" (i.e. subway) up (or over?) to Picadilly Circus (which is kind of like the Time Square of London).


Where I chatted on the telephone for a bit...


We then walked over to Trafalgar Square and went to the National Gallery...which is where I took this picture...


And if you look carefully you can see Big Ben in the distance...


We then headed down towards Parliament and Big Ben...and stopped at the Horse Garden.


Which looked like this on the inside...


They bring the horses out here but we didn't see any other than the ones that were on either side of the gate (pictured above).

And then we passed by where the Prime Minister lives...10 Downing Street...


I did not get to see this place from the inside so I do not know how it looks.

And THEN we saw Big Ben and Parliament...


Which was actually much prettier in person than I thought it would be.

And there was a protest going on there...


It had something to do with genocide in Sri Lanka...I know that sounds very indifferent but I just don't know more about the issue at hand. We did receive a pamphlet about it though.

We then went to Covent Garden where we had lunch at a little Italian-y place and shopped around a little bit.


We then went to the Tower of London which was amazing. We took a guided tour with one of the Beefeaters...which are the Queen's Royal Guard. Our tour guide was hysterical...he had this really dry and sarcastic sense of humor. Here is a picture of KC standing near him while he was giving the tour.


Here we also saw a bunch of Henry VIII's armor and the crown jewels.

After we exited the Tower of London we took some pictures at the famed Tower Bridge.


It was not falling down.

We then headed back towards KC's, stopped by a couple pubs, and had dinner at what KC says is the only good Mexican Restaurant in all of London. Apparently it's owned by some American people. It was called...


That's right...Crazy Homies.

We then returned to KC's...with VERY sore feet...had a wonderful philosophical conversation up on the rooftop patio...and now here I am. And now it is time for bed. To be continued...

11 comments:

  1. I would like to know how big Big Ben is. Because it appears to be about 1.5 times the length of a bus. And if that's the case, then it seems to be a bit of a misnomer. Please find out and get back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day would have been much better if I had lunch at Crazy Homies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big Ben is 316 feet (96 meters) tall.

    And I agree. I think Crazy Homies could make just about any day better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a side note, I believe that bus is about 9.5-10.9 meters in length. So, for perspective, Big Ben is actually probably about 10 times the length of a bus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also I forgot to mention that you can see the London Eye in that picture...it's the thing to the left that looks like a giant ferris wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks like it was a beautiful day out! sore feet..? Did Ann-Marie mention that she had "oozing stumps of pulsating flesh"? hahaha. (For those who don't know, that is a direct quote from Ann-Marie after a long day at Disney World.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you know the visitors' entrance to the Ministry of Magic is located in a red telephone booth; you should try to get in to the Ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's because it IS a giant ferris wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Dwayne's idea. Have you looked for Diagon Alley yet?

    Everything looks amazing and I am achingly jealous. Especially for Crazy Homies. So glad you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hillary - Ann Marie actually DID mention the oozing stumps of pulsating flesh! But it was to say that this wasn't as bad as that. HA ha ha ha ha.

    Dwayne and Lisa - I am still trying to figure out how to get to Hogwarts. I keep seeing those red double-decker buses but have yet to ride one. I'm holding out for one with a shrunken head hanging from the rear view mirror. I do think I saw Harry today though...

    Shane - Duh.

    Lisa again - You MUST come here sometime if you haven't already. You'd love it! I keep thinking of you when I'm looking at art and soaking up the British culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay Ministry of Magic!

    ReplyDelete