Wednesday, June 24, 2009

DC, Day Five: Audrey and Shane Go to White Castle

One would normally think a travel day, such as today, would not be a very eventful one. Packing up, checking out, six hours of driving with a rest stop or two mixed in...not very exciting. But I don't think Shane and I have ever been about doing things the easy way...whether we mean for it to be that way or not. So we, of course, planned things for the day of our trip home. I don't think either of us thought that would be a big deal...and it probably wouldn't have been...but we both ran into some major minor disappointments (and I do mean major minor...that is not a typo).

First off we went for a delicious breakfast cupcake at the highly anticipated Georgetown Cupcake.


We were able to score a street parking spot within a block of the little cupcake bakery and blissfully trotted on in.

Look at all the pretty cupcakes...



Ooooo....aaaaahhhhh... We then ordered two cupcakes each. I wanted a red velvet and a chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting (two of my favorite cupcake flavors) and Shane wanted a red velvet and a lemon berry cupcake. I was so extremely excited...I had been looking forward to this for the entirty of the trip. It's absurd my enthusiasm about cupcakes. But while the lovely folks behind the counter were packing our cupcakes into this cute little box I noticed something...


They had given us a vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting instead of chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting...view the cupcake in question at the bottom left of the picture below.


Now normally I would be a rational human being about this and just accept the mistake and go along my merry way. But I was so exhausted this morning and I had hyped this all up so much in my mind that this was just unacceptable. I didn't know what to do with myself...I didn't feel like I could tell them they'd made a mistake because it was pretty busy in the store but I really really wanted the cupcake I'd had in mind. It was a big difference! This was my major minor disappointment of the day.

BUT Shane, being the true gentleman that he is, went back in and purchased an additional cupcake...this time with chocolate cake and vanilla frosting. My hero. ;)


After Shane returned triumphant with the additional cupcake we sat in the car and enjoyed the spoils of our victory...



No, we didn't eat two cupcakes in one sitting...we each only had one for the time being.

We then hit the road again...heading north towards home...and White Castle.

It had been the plan all along to go to Sonic on the ride down to DC and White Castle on the way back up to CT...so that was no big deal. But sometime about halfway through NJ we hit the nasty, rainy weather we had just begun to forget about. Ew.

No matter though...we made our way through the torrential rain to a White Castle somewhere in one of the lovelier parts of NJ (imagine me saying that dripping with sarcasm) and ordered up some grub. Between the two of us...10 sliders, 2 orders of onion rings, and 2 soft drinks.

Brace yourselves...it is now, unfortunately, time for Shane's major minor disappointment of the day.

It's probably no surprise that Shane was looking forward to this side trip a bit more than I was...and the little burgers had been hyped up so much (just as my cupcakes had been hyped up for me). But when we went to dig in Shane discovered each and every one of our 10 sliders had ketchup on them. And if you don't already know, Shane hates ketchup. I felt so horrible I wanted very badly to go purchase some more without ketchup, but he wouldn't let me. He pulled himself up by the bootstraps, picked some that didn't have AS much ketchup, and ate them anyway.

In dealing with today's major minor disappointments, I do have to admit that Shane handled himself a bit better than me. I have no doubt that he will remind me of this often.

In the end we both agreed on one thing though...ketchup or no, the famed little sliders weren't as good as we hoped they'd be. The meat was a little like shoe leather and they were very soggy. Definitely no better than a burger from McDonald's. The only real novelty was that they were tiny...which was kind of fun. We made a White Castle castle out of the little burger cartons...


We then proceeded to get stuck in horrendous traffic because we forget to take a detour around the George Washington bridge...in the middle of which I got severe indegestition due to our interesting meal choices earlier in the day. Oops. Something I probably should have foreseen but it didn't really wind up being a big deal...we both made it back home safe and sound.

And despite the little hiccups on the way home today...I can say I had a truly amazing time. We had a whole lot of fun together and I think we made a lot of really great memories...including the ones we made today under slightly less than great circumstances.. This trip will keep a smile on my face for quite some time. I can't wait to see where we go next. :)

2 comments:

  1. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who structures vacations around food. The cupcakes looked lovely! Now I want a cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea Shane hates ketchup. This is good information to have.

    ReplyDelete